In Glory and Praise | A Thousand Years of Spiritual Culture in Moravia II
OLOMOUC ARCHDIOCESAN MUSEUM
The Archdiocesan Museum of Olomouc was established in 1998 as a joint project of the state and the Church with the aim of establishing the spiritual and cultural roots of the Olomouc Archdiocese, creating an institution comparable to similarly oriented museums in Europe. The museum was officially opened on June 1, 2006.
Permanent Exposition In Glory and Praise | A Thousand Years of Spiritual Culture in Moravia II was reinstalled in its present form after ten years. In the chronological order, the art of the Olomouc diocese presents the oldest evidence of material culture until the Baroque era in Moravia at the end of the 18th century. Attention is paid to the phenomenon of the collections of Olomouc bishops and archbishops and to the artistic patronage of the Olomouc canons. The two treasury treasures are presented with an exclusive selection of objects of artistic craft liturgical in nature. The exhibited works of art come mostly from church property, but they are also added by collections from the Olomouc Museum of Art, several other institutions and private collectors. Due to the nature and ownership of the exhibits, there may be partial variations of the installation. Special places in this respect are worship services, which are changed at roughly annual intervals due to their material composition.
The exhibition in the Archdiocesan Museum opens in the space of the former coach house of the chapter deanery with the theme of the grand Baroque triumphal entrance of the Olomouc bishops and archbishops into the city. The most impressive artefact of this event is the exhibited ceremonial vehicle of the Olomouc Bishop Ferdinand Julius Troyer (1745–1758).
TREASURE HOUSE I
The treasure house exhibits a selection of the most significant artistic craftsmanship of precious metals from the Olomouc Archdiocese. It covers the styles of the Gothic, Renaissance and the Baroque.
This supplementary exhibition displays archaeological findings demonstrating almost six thousand years of continual settlement of the Olomouc region. It places an emphasis on the importance of the locality during the period of the Great Moravian Empire along with the Cyril and Methodius tradition and the beginnings of Christianity in the Olomouc area.
ROMANESQUE AND EARLY GOTHIC ART
A key figure for this exhibition is the figure of the Olomouc Bishop Jindřich Zdík (1126 –1150) and the wide spectrum of artistic activities which he influenced. A selection of sculptural works from Velehrad and the Olomouc Cathedral documents the beginnings and spreading of the Gothic style in Moravia.
HIGH GOTHIC AND LATE GOTHIC ART
The period of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th centuries is represented by extraordinarily quality work, primarily focused on remarkable examples of sculpture work in the Beautiful Style. The phase of the late Gothic and early Renaissance is mainly represented by sculptural work, demonstrating the frequent influence of Netherlandish realism.
TREASURE HOUSE II
The second treasure house of the Archdiocesan Museum presents liturgical objects and garments used as part of the Christian mass services. Apart from the artistic and craftsmanship quality and historical value of the exhibited works, the symbolic importance and liturgical function is of particular significance.
PICTURE GALLERY OF THE OLOMOUC BISHOPS AND ARCHBISHOPS
The beginnings of the systematic art collecting of the Olomouc Bishops and Archbishops date back to the second half of the 17th century. The art gallery contains renowned works of Italian, Netherlandish and Central European origin.
IVORY CABINET AND COLLECTION OF HANDCRAFT
The large Archbishop’s collection of art works from ivory was accumulated by the Olomouc Archbishop Leopold Prečan. European works of art from the Middle Ages, Renaissance and Baroque periods are on display alongside French and German work from the 19th century and a rich collection of oriental carvings. Another part of the exhibition is dedicated to items from the rich Archbishop’s collection of historical ceramics and porcelain.
THE ARTISTIC PATRONAGE OF THE OLOMOUC CANONS
The St. Wenceslas Chapter in Olomouc, founded by Bishop Jindřich Zdík in 1141, is one of the oldest chapters in Moravia. As part of the Estates society it served to guarantee the continuity of the bishop’s and priest’s office. Their significant cultural activities included collecting and patronage of sacral art.
BAROQUE ART IN THE OLOMOUC DIOCESE
Artistic and cultural activity in the ecclesiastical environment of Moravia in the 18th century was co-created by influences from Italy, the Danubian Basin as well as neighbouring Bohemia and Silesia. The exhibition of Baroque art situated in the southern wing of the former chapter deanery presents the specific character of the Olomouc Baroque, with responses to it and the local transformation in art of the Olomouc archdiocese.
RELIGIOUS ORDERS AND PILGRIMAGE CENTER IN SVATÝ KOPEČEK
The main flag bearers of Baroque culture in Olomouc, apart from the Bishopric, were the local monastic institutions. The most important included the Premonstratensian canonry at Hradisko near Olomouc, the pilgrimage site of the Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary on Svatý Kopeček (Holy Hill), the Jesuit convict with the university, the Church of the Virgin Mary of the Snow and Corpus Christi Chapel.
MUSIC IN THE OLOMOUC ARCHDIOCESE
The exhibition presents several renowned personages of music culture linked with the court of the Olomouc bishops and archbishops.
SCENARIO AND LIBRETO: Gabriela Elbelová, Jana Hrbáčová, Helena Zápalková
PROFESSIONAL CONSULTANTS: Ladislav Daniel, Ivo Hlobil, Milan Togner, Pavel Zatloukal
EXHIBITION CURRENCIES: Gabriela Elbelová, Jana Hrbáčová, Helena Zápalková
COOPERATION: Simona Jemelková, Martina Potůčková, Tomáš Lampar, Leoš Mlčák, Marta Perůtková
ARCHITECTURAL SOLUTION: HŠH architects
GRAPHIC SOLUTION: Petr Šmalec
RESTAURANT WORKS: Romana Balcarová, Renata Bartoňová, Tatjana Bayerová, Petr Berger, Tomáš Berger, Vlastimil Berger, Alena Bergerová, Šárka Bergerová, Lukáš Bureš, Magdalena Černá, Marie Dočekalová, Petr Douda, Marie Foltýnová, Věra Frömlová, Katarína Gregorová, Mojmír Hamsík, Radana Hamsíková , Ivan Houska, Zdeněk Juppe, Ludmila Kaprasová, Marie Karenová, Radomil Klouza, Hana Kohlová, Miloslav Kubík, Jiří Látal, Vendula Látalová, Zdeňka Němcová, Václav Němec, Alois Póč, Dalibor Sedlák, Radomír Surma, Anna Svetkova, František Sysel, Andrej Šumbera, Miroslava Trizuljakova, Václav Vondracek, Ladislav Vyskocil, Ladislav Werkmann, Radka Zahradnikova, Ondřej Žak
INSTALLATION: Jan Kutra, Tomas Lampar, Vlastimil Sedlacek, Filip Sindelar, Ondřej Žák
Olomouc Archdiocesan Museum - the holder of the title "European Heritage Label"